Wednesday, September 1, 2010

A Lego Brick

We youths spend many years trying to figure out where we fit. Are we doctors, professors, artists, hippies, politicians?
Those years could be high school years, for some it's college.

But finding out where you fit comes from knowing yourself well. If you don't know your edges (your limits), how will you know where to put yourself in this world-puzzle?
I like to think that I have artistic and creative strengths.

Turns out Communication Design isn't the final branch in the tree of the art world. There's two more branches from it - Graphic Design and Art Direction.

Graphic Design is grueling projects and designing logos and ... well, I don't really know that much about it, but it's tough, I hear.
Art Direction, that really appealed to me. I like what I've heard so far.
Not that I wouldn't love Graphic Design. I mean, that's what I thought I was going to do for a while. But hearing about Art Direction - it sounds like my dream job!

Of course... what do I know? Right now my idea about the future is... misty.
I know I will be content as long as I can make other people happy. That's what brings me more joy than anything else, and it's something I practice more than any instrument or art form.
And you know what? I really believe God has called me to exhortation. Not that I'm doing a 180 and changing my major to social work, but I think that it's a spiritual gift that I should use in whatever environment I get placed in.

I actually ended up auditioning for the show choir because I was on my way somewhere else and then I went into the Union to get out of the rain and boom, there were the Glee auditions. I may not do glee, even if I get in, because of my demanding Comm Design schedule. I sang All of Me, but the actual audition wasn't so important.

I could really relate to all the nervous girls in the room. One girl came out looking a little discouraged, and I asked her how she did, and she told me she that it was "terrible", that she was "off pitch"
I said (wish I could remember my exact words) 'Never say that about your singing. If you sing from your heart, and you're conveying an emotion, it's always good' And I hugged her, because sometimes that's just what someone could be needing. I really believe that.
Technical skills aside, singing is at its basic level intended for expressing emotion, and it's the most pure/organic musical form.

The glee team leaders were impressed by my attitude and I went up and it was solid. But I realized that the most passionate thing I had done that night was encourage the girls who had just performed.


Today was FLOW (free lunch on wednesdays)

It also thunderstormed today.

Comm design is even more demanding than I've heard previously. That's why I'm writing this lego brick entry - because if I'm going to do this, I'm going to have to give it everything I've got.

So what do you think? Am I an Art Director? Or a motivator? Or something else?

Oh, and I'm incredibly busy, so my posts will probably be less frequent
I do come home this weekend! Looking forward to seeing my lovely family again.

No comments:

Post a Comment