Thursday, September 16, 2010

First Critique / Empty Cup


We had a critique in Drawing I today! It was fun until I had to get my whole project together and turn it in. I'm a bit clumsy with big sheets of paper.
But the comments on my pieces were favorable! That brought a big smile to my face!

And you know what? Even the criticism was nice to hear! For some reason I don't mind if people don't like my artwork. When they do, that's nice, but either way it's just fun to see what people think.

I'm trying to memorize the Beatitudes, and I'm trying to go through them and focus on and apply them to my life one at a time. The first is "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." I wasn't exactly sure what that meant.

So I looked it up and it's referring to humility. The explanation actually included the phrase "empty cup" which is what I've been trying to think of myself as since day 1.
I've learned that sometimes being humble isn't simply not bragging or being obnoxious. Pride exists in different ways. Vanity, obsessing too much over how I look. And while reputation is a good thing to keep clean, and certainly you need to protect your witness, we shouldn't be afraid to be seen with certain people, because "everyone needs compassion, a love that's never failing." =)

Today I failed in this area, and ironically it's the one that I've been studying and prayed for about it. I try to justify it, "I'm a freshman, and I don't want people to think badly of me" but really, it's a pride thing. I did feel pretty awful because I went against the Holy Spirit pressing me to move, and I didn't. So I'm praying for God to soften my heart and forgive me.
(Too much self-disclosure, but I felt I had to add that, I can't share this doctrine without feeling hypocritical.)

But aside from that things are going really well. My small group is doing an outreach project with goodie bags. It's groovy =)

Show love to everyone you meet!

No comments:

Post a Comment