Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Mercy

Today was another fantabulous one. For three reasons.

1. I woke up on time.
2. My design critique went well!
3. Something cool happened this afternoon!

This afternoon (in reference to #3) me and some brothers and sisters gathered outside in a courtyard and just celebrated Jesus. Celebrated the beauty of grace! And it was good. =)

Later me and Maria went on a wild goose chase looking for this restaurant I really wanted to check out! We found it though! If at first you don't succeed...

Man. I am so glad.. so thankful I know the Lord. His very nature is drawing me closer to Him, because He is so good and merciful. I was overwhelmed with this truth when I read 1 Chronicles 21. That whole chapter is a beautiful story.

To sum it up, David shames Israel and sins against God. But he realizes it and says to God, “I have sinned greatly by doing this. Now, I beg you, take away the guilt of your servant. I have done a very foolish thing.” (verse 8)

So then Gad, David's seer, tells him he has three possible punishments, three options, and that he gets to choose.

A. Three years of famine
B. Three months of being swept away before enemies
or C. Three days of the sword of the Lord (plagues, the angel of the Lord)

David says "Let me fall into the hands of the Lord, for his mercy is very great; but do not let me fall into the hands of men.”

14 So the Lord sent a plague on Israel, and seventy thousand men of Israel fell dead.
15 And God sent an angel to destroy Jerusalem. But as the angel was doing so, the Lord saw it and was grieved because of the calamity and said to the angel who was destroying the people, “Enough! Withdraw your hand.”

... He was GRIEVED! Because of the suffering of man!
And so he had mercy on man even then, before Christ.. We justly deserve punishment, and God is just, but He had mercy and sent a Savior to take our punishment.

The song "Great is Thy Faithfulness" keeps repeating over and over in my mind. It's never been a favorite song of mine... until now. Its lyrics fully describe how I'm feeling...

Great is thy faithfulness! Great is thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see;
all I have needed thy hand hath provided;
great is thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!

Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth
thy own dear presence to cheer and to guide;
strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow,
blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!

"Morning by morning new mercies I see" That phrase keeps popping up in my mind throughout the days... each day I learn more about God's good nature. He shuts up the mouths of lions that roar about me, and has even shut up the mouth of the great lion that prowls about, Satan - He overcame death so that we could be with him. Man...... wow....

Anyway - cardboard testimonies are this wednesday, I'll be showing mine again, I can't wait to tell people, "Look what God did!"

thou changest not, thy compassions, they fail not;
as thou hast been thou forever will be.

Take care my friends. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment