Sunday, January 30, 2011

My weakness

"We have had enough, once & for all, of Hedonism - the gloomy philosophy which says that Pleasure is the only good." - C.S. Lewis

The book of James in the Bible has a lot to say a lot about taking heart in troubles - it's hard to rejoice when trials come, or when times are hard, but still, we're being refined by fire, made in His image.

One of the really difficult trials though, is things that you'd think were good things.
When you finally get what you want, will you still hail Jesus Christ as Lord? When you have your heart's desires in front of you, do you remember the Giver?

It's a sneaky and deceptive test of faithfulness.

If you've wanted something for a long time, and you finally get it, it's a fight to keep in mind the Truth.

Another C.S. Lewis quote, I feel it's relevant:
"We must get over wanting to be needed - this is the hardest of all temptations to resist" - C.S. LewisI've written about hopeless romanticism before - and this weekend that was really my Achilles heel, and I just didn't have a really good heart about my engagements.
I guess these things wouldn't have happened if I were just more godly in my day-to-day life. If I didn't give the impression that I were looking for romance, temptation wouldn't present itself.

I'm disappointed in myself. I like to think that there's been a change in me since I started actively pursuing God, but sometimes I'm surprised by how sinful I really am, and all the evil there is still left.
I'm probably not even surprised enough. As I grow in understanding, the warped nature of my heart becomes more and more evident.

So even though I'm hoping no one I love is affected... I'm praying for God to do whatever is necessary to draw me back to Him, even if that means to remove things that would try to lure me away, even to break my heart so I am moved to depend on Him alone for strength.

Today in church, Ross's pastor friend Dennis from Kenya was preaching, and he mentioned this phrase that really struck me: "God will take away our idols until we find none to praise but Himself."

It hasn't come yet, but I know there's going to be a big trial coming up, maybe I've mentioned it before, but if you could be praying that I would be protected by the full armor of God, I'd appreciate it.

When I think about my own iniquity - sheesh, I AM iniquity - I'm a little overwhelmed and I think, how can I even begin to go about fixing all of this? I've got so many pride issues, idolatry issues, laziness issues, I'm so far from the godly woman...

This comforts me, and I know it will comfort you - whenever you're feeling like you really have to do something, or fix some aspect of your nature, just remember, it is God that is doing work in us. We are called first to the celebration, to simply LOVE GOD. The first and greatest commandment is to LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART.
From this comes the second, to love your neighbor.

Isn't that where every other command comes from? If we can just love God, and love our neighbors, all the rest just follows naturally...

It's like that truth God keeps reteaching to me.. "Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you."

What a wonderful God

- In Christ,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment