Wednesday, August 31, 2011

A Corporate Suit

As much as I think I'd be happy living in a field and growing my own vegetables and writing poetry, it seems like a remarkably selfish existence when I consider what I have to give to the world.

I think last semester I tried to make sure I had a lot of time to be creative. Or just to chill, or work out. Or think. The thought of a full schedule made me wince. I don't want to have to give up anything. I want to be available.

But if giving up sitting around mulling over the green greens and sunshine is the price of being successful, I think I'll choose to give it up.

Time management - that's the crucial element, isn't it? The people who succeed and keep planners and never have an idle minute - they know how to "budget" their time. I need that to be me.
(My imagining of 28 year old ad exec Rachel)
I say all of this because I'm going to be interning at the university paper - the NT Daily - and I'm going to have to do work. At first when I went I considered the possibility that they were going to ask me to work every night, and I realized that eventually, it comes down to what's important. Was this important? What else was important? Why did I hate giving up my time so much?

In a world where events collide and corporate suits don't have "time" for anything, the key is to have your priorities clearly defined.

What is important?
What takes precedence?

If I claim Christ as the center of my life, what does that mean for my priorities?

How do I embody Christ in a corporate suit?

1 comment: