Friday, September 2, 2011

Being better to the worse

I've noticed a particular trend in how we accidentally hurt each other's feelings.

Sometimes something will really inspire me (e.g, a philosophy, a way of doing something) and I think, yeah! Everybody should do this.

Different doesn't always mean bad. Some things are just more efficient, but some things are just a matter of preference and everyone has their own way of doing things.
Most of the time, I think people are really aware of this and are very good at being tolerant and loving.

But especially after I've seen something amazing, the things that I don't find as incredible are lost on me. Maybe someone tried really hard to do something well, but I can't see it because I'm convinced that everything should be "that great."

This is my position. There are two kinds of people. People that will inspire and encourage us, and people that we should inspire and encourage. (Obviously we should encourage everyone) but the people that don't impress us often are the ones that need loving and encouragement the most. I find that I let myself be blinded by an idea that is "superior" so I have difficulty giving my time to the "inferior."

I've noticed that when people are complaining and being critical, they're usually being blinded to the treasure in front of them by something "superior."

It's one thing to want to change things for the better. That's what constructive criticism is for. That's why we all toil and work and try to think of more efficient ways to do things.

But our first command was to love the Lord with all our hearts, and the second was to love our neighbors. To do that well, we have to look at them with the eyes of Christ and if they are truly more immature or in need of correction, then they are precious children.

People are precious.

No comments:

Post a Comment