Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The Thing Itself

I was marveling today at how easy it is to forget how to love something.

The musician who goes to music school learns how to tear apart music and analyze it to death. The poet, the literature major... As Ross preaches, the theologian who gets caught up in theology doesn't have the full joy of just loving and delighting in the Lord. These devoted people love something and then, in trying to learn to appreciate it, find loving the thing grueling work.
(Not all of course)

It's not usually an unhappy ending. Working in the field you love is a good thing. But it's easy to forget that you really do love something - or even why you really love it.
I do this sort of silly thing all the time. I like to analyze life and love like lab rats. I analyze my own heart. I analyze what people say, what I say, and the cogs of what makes things really special, instead of sitting back and enjoying them.

Ironically, you could call the process of learning to be restful and appreciative a "discipline" of sorts, I think...

I wrote this as I was considering all these things.

But after you devote yourself to something and after you tear it apart and after you really KNOW something, you love it so much better and are able to appreciate it that much more - or so I'm told.

Discipline is a wonderful, beautiful thing - there's treasure in each hard step we take toward excellence.

Just don't forget to love it/them/Him

No comments:

Post a Comment