Thursday, August 25, 2011

Crude Matter

Today was my first class!

Physical Geology, or I guess it's Earth Science. I think it's going to be a little different from the other geology class I took. This teacher seems really excited about how humans interact with the environment.

I wish I were more excited about that kind of thing.

Planet earth isn't as fragile as environmentalists like to make it sound. People try to talk about climate disaster and things like the rise of carbon dioxide and the destruction of rainforests.... man, those things ARE important, but I never think of myself in physical terms.

Me and my body have always been more like partners in my mind - the body, outfitted with limitations and desires, and me, my soul, everything that is essentially ... well, the core of what I consider myself. Desires are separate - they push and pull my core, my spirit.

Taking this and applying it to the world, we are a bunch of everlasting souls, and no natural disaster can destroy the soul except for the disaster of sin. So... what concerns me is sin and darkness and despair. Disasters like earthquakes can be vehicles for those things, but in my mind, who we are is more important than the bodily "vehicles" we drive and maintain.


So when people get really excited about environmental protection and saving the planet, I have a hard time feeling worried.

That being said..... it's still important, regardless of how I feel about it. I need water to live. I am, in fact, operating through the "crude matter" I discount so often. Until I get sick, I never realize how dependent I am on my health. Maybe it's because I'm young and invincible. (Really, in my mind, I feel that way... a lot)

I heard Maggie say once that the remedy for the world isn't salvation in conservation, but salvation in Christ.

Well-o, me and Jacob are gonna jam-town. Catchya later.

No comments:

Post a Comment