Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Thirty-day challenge.

Yes I'm doing it. I want to do it. Here goes day one. "Your best friend."
I don't have a best friend. I really wish I did. Actually, I don't think I've ever had a best friend in my whole life, despite the fact that I'm one of those emotional people who loves deep and intimate relationships...

Luckily, there is no void and no lacking in Christ, He is sufficient in all things. So He will fill this silly void of a post.

It's great though because these days, even though I don't have a #1 best friend, I have a lot of really meaningful relationships - full of laughter that comes from joy and not flippancy.


C.S. Lewis writes about the difference in The Screwtape Letters:

JOY
"You will see [joy] among friends and lovers reunited on the eve of a holiday. Among adults some pretext in the way of Jokes is usually provided, but the facility with which the smallest witticisms produce laughter at such a time shows that they are not the real cause. What that real cause is we do not know. Something like it is expressed in much of that art which [we] call Music, and something like it occurs in Heaven."
FLIPPANCY
"Flippancy: Only a clever human can make a real Joke about virtue, or indeed about anything else; any of them can be trained to talk as if virtue were funny. Among flippant people the Joke is always assumed to have been made. No one actually makes it; but every serious subject is discussed in a manner which implies that they have already found a ridiculous side to it. If prolonged, the habit of Flippancy builds up around a man the finest armour-plating against [The Lord] that I know, and it is quite free from the dangers inherent in the other sources of laughter. It is a thousand miles away from joy it deadens, instead of sharpening, the intellect; and it excites no affection between those who practice it."

I've found this to be so true. Two types of laughter: joyful laughter, that comes from deep loving relationships and enjoying time together, and then flippant laughter.
I have resolved to be satisfied with nothing less than joyous laughter, flippancy just doesn't make the heart light up like joy...

Be joyful and cherish each other.
In Christ, Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment