Monday, February 21, 2011

Seeds n weeds n stuff

~ a commentary on the ministry garden

C.S. Lewis once wrote in The Screwtape Letters that after a person has made a great spiritual breakthrough or experienced a renewal, that often the seeds of (Screwtape calls Him "The Enemy") Christ are "sterilized" by writing a book about the experience.

Not that I have purposefully avoided this blog because I was afraid of sterilizing seeds - it's ironic that CS Lewis, as he said that, was writing a book, and that book has sown seeds in me... So, writing often does contain edifying truths, and I hope that people who read my entries might gain some learning from my experiences.

But CS Lewis was right about those seeds - left alone to grow, ministries have blossomed under my feet.

Praise Band
I'm involved in Crave (BSM praise band) and that's pretty great, the people in my praise team are very encouraging, I was a little shocked by how often Coltin encouraged us, always telling us if he liked something and giving us high fives. It was just so GOOD. I think good relations (improved by encouragement) is a necessary ingredient for a strong, unified worship team. Another crucial thing is, every member of the team has to be overflowing with praise. If one member is feeling the need to be appreciated or is basically "sucking in" love, that shows that there is a void, and they should be pointed toward Christ, who sustains and gives abundantly.

Obviously, I have a lot more to say about the music ministry, since I have served in that ministry for a long time, but worship is a simple thing, and so often it gets turned into something other than our natural desire to celebrate the Creator. It should be so easy...

Prayer
I used to be almost afraid of prayer.. at least, my prayers were clumsy and unexpectant. After seeking God and letting the Holy Spirit breathe into my prayer life, I got really excited about praying. Now me and some friends are meeting for morning prayer, aiming at every day, but we'll see.
I also learned to be ready if the Spirit led me to speak in tongues. I was kind of hesitant at first, and a lot of my judgement has been sort of cloudy on Spirit-led things, but increasingly, God is bringing clarity to those areas, and older Christians are advising me on how to determine what is of the Spirit and how to minister to others.

International
I wish I could say that I have always had a heart for other cultures, but honestly, I have been afraid in the past of this ministry. Until I actually met and befriended some internationals at Worldlife, I thought that I wasn't too good at cross-cultural socializing! But while I didn't have a heart for other cultures (my heart is increasingly burdened for the world) I did have a heart for Japan, so this was a ministry I wanted to be involved in. And now??? I really just am very glad God brought me here.
The conversation partner program isn't a BSM or Christian organization, but I'm building relationships with 3 transfer students, and that's great. Celine, from Taiiwan, loves the Lord - so great!!!! And Worldlife is always just a blessing, getting to show love to these guys....

Parish (not a 'ministry' but it's a weekly thing haha)
Wednesday nights are so great. (Pastor) Ross likes to say that "parish is where church happens." It's community, and having dinner with your church family (part of it haha) and going through the Word. It's also outreach - the parishes go out and volunteer at places like The Nelson Center, and serving alongside brothers and sisters is really good. 'Parish' seems like a strange word, but other churches do it and call it "homegroups" or "lifegroups."

If it turns out that this is too much for me to handle, I'll cut something. But so far it's been ok. I don't have as much homework as I did last semester. Still studying hard though.

Remember... before you do any ministry, before you do anything, seek first the kingdom of God. If we love and obey the Lord, all we need will be given to us.
Just consider those lilies of the field.
- your fellow servant

No comments:

Post a Comment