Thursday, October 13, 2011

Jerks

People are strange. And not everyone is kind.

My TA frustrated me today by writing mean and unhelpful comments like "you can't write" and "read a newspaper" on my article draft. They were not constructive, especially considering the professor had told me earlier that I had a particular talent.
Who knows why she wrote that? She could have been having a terrible day, the possibilities are endless. (thank goodness we didn't get graded on our drafts!)

You know something? I didn't feel sad. Not even for one minute. I just felt sorry for my TA, because you know, I really believe in what I'm writing, and I'm only trying to be used for the glory of God. I'm doing the best that I can. In every area.

That being said, there are wicked people. Proverbs describes the "righteous man" and the "wicked." Very different.

I can be wicked, too. I can be a real jerk. Sometimes I surprise myself with how bad my motives are upon examination.

Speaking of examination, I found this particularly helpful. I tend toward self-righteousness and when I'm not overanalyzing, I'm underanalyzing.

Unrelated... I was reading Tozer's Pursuit of God, and I came across this passage, and it brought me to tears.
"When God spoke out of heaven to our Lord, self-centered men who heard it explained it by
natural causes: they said, “It thundered.” This habit of explaining the Voice by appeals to natural law is at the very root of modern science. In the living breathing cosmos there is a mysterious Something, too wonderful, too awful for any mind to understand.
The believing man does not claim to understand.
He falls to his knees and whispers, 'God.'" - Tozer, Pursuit of God

I still don't know why.

1 comment:

  1. that's a great passage. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete